New York, NY
Who we are:
For 30 years CSH has changed the lives of people who have been marginalized and are our most vulnerable neighbors by:
» Helping communities create more than 330,000 homes for individuals and families;
» Providing technical assistance and support to communities across the country including over $1B in capital; and
» Ensuring not only a home but access to the services and supports that people and communities need to thrive.
CSH proven that supportive housing can change the lives of individuals, families, and communities, it also has created a team of nationally recognized experts who are deeply dedicated to our organization and its goals. We attract talented and diverse individuals, offer competitive salaries and benefits, generous leave and PTO, and fully embrace the philosophy that work-life balance is achievable. With the goal of attracting proven candidates committed to making a difference and who aspire to advance our mission, CSH is now accepting applications for a Payroll Specialist to work with our Finance Team. All CSH positions are working remotely due to the COVID pandemic. Once our offices reopen, this position will be located in our New York headquarters.
Why we need you:
CSH is seeking motivated individuals who have a solid understanding of accounting fundamentals and payroll best practices to join our Finance department. Reporting to the Senior Accountant, the Payroll Specialist will ensure accurate execution and recording of all elements of CSH’s payroll processing.
What you will do:
CSH is a collaborative organization, and in this role, you will work closely with the Accounting Manager and CSH’s leaders in an environment that supports continuous learning and improvement while ensuring adherence to appropriate accounting practices and reporting mechanisms.
As a member of the Accounting team you will:
- Play a key role in our payroll and time and leave systems. This position will collaborate and coordinate closely between our finance, human resources, system vendors, and program departments in all elements of their work.
- Approach all elements of your work with a customer service approach, responding to employee inquiries in a timely and thorough fashion.
- Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely on a semi-monthly schedule.
- Active identification of problems and obstacles with your supervisor and take initiative to research and offer solutions for consideration.
- Accountable for adherence to APA, including compliance, proper process and alignment with CSH policies, procedures, and with federal/state/local regulations.
- Responsible for reconciliation of payroll prior to transmission and validate confirmed reports.
- Understand and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local tax requirements and the proper tax treatment of CSH’s benefit programs and options.
- Coordinate and implement the needed file feeds and integrations of payroll with external and internal systems such as our retirement, benefits, ERP, and time and leave technologies.
System Fidelity and Portfolio Management
- Ensure the proper flow and maintenance of employee data (including preparation/distribution of detailed reports, e.g. wages and tax reports, leave balances, head count, and retirement contribution reports).
- Manage the integration and import / export of information across systems
- Maintain documents and information in accordance with our file governance structure and policies.
- Facilitate audits by providing records and documentation to auditors
- Other duties as assigned.
How we work:
CSH staff are adaptable, entrepreneurial, creative, and flexible problem-solvers. We are strategic thinkers who are committed to racial equality and treating each other—and the communities we serve—with respect. You should share a passion for the CSH mission and possess the skills to meet the expectation of this role to help shape how we share our ambitious mission.
Specifically, we are seeking:
- High School Diploma/GED; Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred but not required.
- 3-5 years’ experience processing multi-state payroll.
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations and working knowledge of payroll best practices.
- Strong personal computer skills including proficiency in Excel; a working knowledge of NetSuite, Databasics, and Paycom is preferred but not required.
- Exceptional organization with the ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Strong attention to detail and solid technical expertise and acumen
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with various levels of management, audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socially diverse stakeholders and colleagues
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities
- Strong work ethic and team player.
- Discrete and ability to manage sensitive and confidential material.
CSH offers generous benefits, opportunities for professional growth, and competitive salaries. The mid-range salary for CSH’s Payroll Specialist position in an average cost location is $55,000 - $60,000. Salary offers will be based on where the candidate works and the candidate’s experience in similar roles.